I know what you are thinking, Beard oils are expensive. You are right, taking care of your beard can be expensive, especially when you have to buy them every month. Homemade Beard Oil Recipe is just a mixture of a few key ingredients, and that’s how the beard companies make money.
Best Beard Oils that meet all your needs are hard to find. So, why not make your own oil? Yes, you can make your own oil by just using the carrier and essential oils. A Homemade Beard Oil can be successfully made by just following some basic steps highlighted below. In this blog, we are going to discuss why you should make DIY beard oil at home and how you can make beard oil at home.
Table Of Content
Why you need a Beard Oil Recipe?
It is important to understand one’s motive behind making beard oil at home. There are many things that a person might consider before making a DIY Beard Oil. Each person has their own idea of making the best beard oils for themselves instead of buying costly beard oil.
Here are some general advantages of DIY Beard Oil-
Ready to use beard oils usually come in small bottles that last no more than a month (depending on use). So if you think about it, using beard oil can cost you more than 100 dollars per year. Is it worth it? That solely depends on your pocket size. But if you can afford it, don’t just make it for the sake of it, try and make the best one possible for your beard and skin.
And if shelf life matters to you, DIY beard oil is very cost-effective and takes just 50-60 dollars a year which is very less than ready to use oils. So, Why not save money and use it on other important things?
Can be Customized
Another advantage of making beard oil at home is that you can customize the beard care product according to your needs. There are some ingredients in ready-made oil that you can be allergic to, so just exclude those from your recipe. For instance, if you don’t like coconut oil in your grooming products then it is easy to just exclude it. There are hundreds of different carrier and essential oils available in the market that you can use to avoid allergies like allergies from vegetable glycerine and other fatty acids.
It is even easy when one can alter the fragrance in his product. That’s right, by just changing the mixture of the essential oils, fragrances can be altered too. This is the main advantage of DIY Beard Oil, which is it can be customized to fit in your needs circle.
Own the Product You Created
When we discover something and then use it in our day to day life, then there is a sense of accomplishment that we feel. That feeling is the best one as you know what the product contains and why it is created. Secondly, when a consumer buys a product, all he is worried about is what if the product presents false claims. But that is not the case with DIY beard oils, where the ownership is limited to you.
What do you need for the DIY Beard Oil Recipe?
Unlike Beard Balm recipe, where you need a bunch of other main ingredients, beard oil recipes just need 2 ingredients which are the carrier and essential oils. So first, let us discuss these oils, and then we will go into some examples from which you can choose some.
All beard oils have two key ingredients, carrier, and essential oils. There are various kinds of oil available which gives you a lot of options to choose from. Each oil has its own therapeutic properties and knowing about those properties can help you a lot with making a perfect custom beard oil for you. You can choose the ingredients based on your skin type and condition.
What is Carrier Oil?
The carrier oil is an essential ingredient of any beard oil recipe.
You can think of it as the base which will help deliver the nutrients to your skin and beard hair. It is undoubtedly one of the most important parts of the recipe but doesn’t get enough credit for it as essential oils do. You can pick any carrier oil or a blend of carrier oils to make your custom oil. If it is your first time making a custom beard oil, it is best that you stick to a single recipe and check how it turns out for you.
The most popular and highly used is oil jojoba. It is a perfect oil to use as it goes well with all skin types, doesn’t cause acne, lasts for a long-time, and has a great scent. This makes it one of the best oils to use for grooming.
Another benefit of choosing jojoba oil is that it is one of the closest you will get to a natural oil for your skin. Though it is not the only choice you have, it is still the best one you can opt to choose.
The other oils which are largely used in making custom beard oil are sweet almond oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, sunflower seed oil, walnut oil, peanut oil, hazelnut oil, and kukui oil.
The carrier oil which you choose will directly affect the consistency of your recipe. Jojoba oil is light and not greasy at all. Another such oil is fractionated coconut oil.
Apart from consistency, the other thing that you need to worry about is the possibility of oil going rancid. It becomes more worrisome when you are planning to make it in large quantities for longer use. Using jojoba oil will definitely provide you with great shelf life. Other oils like grape seed oil and argan tree oil are good but do not have a long shelf life.
Always buy cold-pressed carrier oils that are stored in dark-colored bottles. The coloured bottles prevent the UV rays from taking away the nutrient value of the carrier oils. But let’s not get too technical here and just keep in mind the points above while selecting a carrier oil.
Pro Tip – Carrier oils make up 95% of the beard oil so it is best not to experiment too much while learning and go for the commonly used option such as jojoba oil. Here are some commonly used oils and their health benefits or skin benefits.
Some of the Carrier oil options are-
Argan oil is a 100% organic product that works well with all types of skin, especially sensitive skin. It moisturizes skin, treats acne and oily skin while also promoting hair growth. This cold-pressed certified oil is best for the skin.
Jojoba oil is mostly found in all beard oils because of the advantages it brings to the beard. It is similar to the oils we use in our day to day lives, but there are additional things that it does. Jojoba oil is the main carrier oil that treats acne for sure. It works well on all types of skin and reduces itchiness. Jojoba oil also reduces beard dandruff.
Sweet Almond Oil is a must-have oil if your beard is too itchy, not only it reduces itchiness, but it also works well with the skin underneath the beard. You can buy sweet almond oil from the link below.
Coconut Oil is one of the best moisturizing and skin smoothing products that works well with every type of skin and beard. It can be used as a diluting agent for other carrier oils because of its stable nature. Coconut oil also promotes growth and reduces dandruff which makes it one of the best base oils.
Avocado oil– Reduces wrinkles on the face and acts as an anti-aging agent. It will make your skin smooth and make it look fresh.
Below we have highlighted a small list of other carrier oils that you can use-
- Hemp seed
- Borage Oil
- Peanut Oil
- Pecan OIl
- Rosehip Oil
- Sesame oil
- Cocoa butter oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Walnut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Castor Oil
What Are Essential Oils?
- It can moisturize
- Prevent fungus
- reduce beardruff
- stimulate growth
Essential oils also have a major role to play, similar to carrier oils. But unlike carrier oils that achieve many functions, essential oils are just there for skin protection and amazing fragrances. Even though they have little functions to carry out, their presence takes your beard oil to another level.
Similar to carrier oils, there are many types of essential oil bottles and the selection depends on the personal taste of fragrances. So we won’t bore you by listing oils that you don’t like.
Amazon also has this kit available which basically carries many different oils in small quantities. Essential oils are better when combined with other oils because that will make your beard oil DIY unique. So when you buy this kit and mix different oils, it will give you the best results.
Now you might be wondering, what else essential oils do? They do many little things to your beard and skin underneath. Firstly, most of them are rich in Vitamin E that acts as a preservative and makes your DIY oil last longer, and helps avoid it from getting spoiled soon.
So in a way, you can say that it has a better shelf life. Essential oils also act as anti-bacterial products. This will reduce beard dandruff and itchiness. So, essential oils cannot be avoided from your DIY oil because they are not just an excellent source of fragrance but help protect your skin and beard from skin problems as well.
Additional Things you need to get started
Certainly, there are additional things you need to get started with while making a DIY Beard oil. After all, you do not want to just start mixing oils without knowing what is going to happen. These things will make the preparation of the recipe much easier. Additionally, they are not hard to buy, because you can get these for under 20 dollars. But if you already have these instruments, then there is no need to spend money buying them.
If your carrier and essential oils did not come with droppers then you might want to consider buying a dropper. Using a dropper will make it easy to measure and mix the ingredients. After all, you do not want to put a random quantity of ingredients in your product. Also, you would need a dropper to apply DIY oil as it is the best way to do so.
Please don’t use the same dropper for different bottles as it will change beard oils’ characteristics and fragrances. The amber glass bottle can be used to store your DIY oil. The colour of the storage bottle will block sunlight from spoiling your DIY oil. This kit has 12 bottles and droppers, which will motivate you to try different combinations of carrier and essential oils.
When your ingredients are ready to use, a container like the one below is needed to mix them well. Do not try to mix the oils directly in a bottle as you might end up creating a mess, and won’t be able to mix them properly. So start by cleaning this pot, and then add appropriate quantities of carrier and essential oils. Then use the right mixing tools to mix them well. You can also get storage bottles or storage containers.
No products found.
How to make Beard Oil?
Now, let’s get into the thing which everyone was excited about- Making Beard oil. As listed above, there are two main ingredients involved, carrier oils, and essential oils for beards. Now one might think of just mixing the oils to make your own beard oil. But there are still a couple of things to keep in mind before trying different DIY oil recipes.
- First, start by taking the appropriate quantity of carrier oil into the container that you have sanitized. If you wish, you can also mix different carrier oils and try different beard oils. But you need to make sure that the quantity you wish to have is maintained. For instance, if you plan to have a 2oz bottle of DIY beard oil, then you might decide to have one and a half oz for carrier oils and another half oz for essential oils. So when you are mixing carrier oils, you will know that the total of all the carrier oils should be one and a half, so mix and measure it accordingly. Another thing you can do to have a stable DIY oil every time is to write down the quantities you have chosen. One can just put a label on the bottle or maintain a piece of paper to write down your creation of different recipes.
- Then, you have to mix essential oils with carrier oils. This step is not too complicated once you have decided the quantities you want to put in. Among the few options available to you for pouring essential oils, the best one is to use a dropper. Most of the droppers come with the quantity scale which can be used for measuring beard oils.
- Then according to what you have planned, mix the essential oils or a mixture of different essential oils with carrier oils in the container. For instance, one might choose to have 2 drops of essential oils and 3 drops of carrier oils. This way, it will make your lives easier. It is best to note down essential oil instructions for future reference.
- Next, take a spoon or any tool that can be used for mixing. Just give it a slight stir so that all the oils can mix up well together. You do not want to stir too much because it will make it look more like water and not oil. Lastly, just pour the mixture into the amber bottle. Your beard oil is ready!
Guess what, you just learned how to make oil for your beard. That’s an important skill to have!
Beard Oil Recipes
There are thousands of different recipes available on the market. But it is just a combination of different carriers and essential oils in a bottle. But that also implies that you need to be extra careful by measuring everything you put into your DIY oil.
Below we have highlighted certain combinations that you can give a try. Remember that everyone likes different things, so it’s not important that you might like these recipes. The highlighted recipes are collected from general likes and dislikes. If you feel that one ingredient needs to be replaced, then please feel free to give it a try. If it works well, then let us know by contacting us.
Simple Coconut Beard Oil with a Spark of Orange
- 5 tablespoon of coconut carrier oil
- 4 drops of sweet orange essential oil
Beverly Hills Recipe For Beard Oil
- 10 ml of Sweet almond oil/ apricot oil
- 10 ml of Avocado oil
- 10 ml of jojoba oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of sandalwood oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 7 drops of juniper essential oils/ sunflower oil
Toronto Swag Best Beard Oil Recipe
- 20 ml of jojoba oil
- 5 ml of coconut oil
- 5 ml of sweet almond oil
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 2 drops of rosemary oil/ mountain rose herbs
Desert Eagle Beard Oil Recipe
- 15 ml of almond oil
- 5 ml of grape seed oil
- 5 ml of coconut oil
- 5 drops of Ylang-ylang
- 2 drops of cinnamon cassie
These are some of the recipes we love. Obviously, we have not tried every single one of them individually because of lack of resources. But they have been gathered through different research methods. If you like any other recipes, then please do contact us and we would love to hear about it.
Tips for DIY Beard Oil
There are certain things to keep in mind while making beard oil. Here are some of the tips that we would like to suggest based on different experiences.
- Make sure to note down quantities on paper- Sometimes people make a recipe they really love but when they try to make it again, it is hard for them to remember the appropriate quantities. So it is important for you to note down your recipe somewhere as it will just make your lives easier.
- The concentration of essential oil is an important thing to consider- Some people can have skin irritation and other skin issues if they use essential oils in excess. So it is important for you to use appropriate quantities of essential oils, to avoid skin irritation. It is a good option to do a patch test first, then try on the beard. If it works well, then you can add more of that oil for beard growth. Choosing the right base oil is also important as base oil can completely change the outcome of the recipe.
- If you are planning to use coconut oil that is in a wax-like form then it is important for you to melt it. Otherwise, it will become too hard for you to mix carrier oil and essential oil. For instance, if you want to mix this solid coconut oil with tea tree oil, then after mixing it, it will look more like a beard balm recipe. But using oils such as tea tree oil is great for the beard as it prevents bacterial and parasitic contamination. Tea tree oil also makes sure that you don’t have a dry beard. So finding the right mix and right form for using oils such as tea tree nut oil and coconut oil is necessary.
- Lastly, the best oils for beard are what you think is best. Make something that you will use every day, and more importantly, be happy using it. There is no point in spending money and wasting time if you are not going to use it. Also, make sure to include the best ingredients like natural oils, shea butter, and other necessary ones. And if you are looking for an alternative, you can choose beard balm.
How to Use Beard Oil?
Now comes the part where you start using your beard oil. But the question is how to use beard oil effectively? There are certain steps that you need to perform for good results. Here are some steps highlighted to get the best results
Note that we have just highlighted steps over here if you want to know more about beard oils like what do beard oil does, how to use them etc. Then you can go to the Best Beard Oils blog where you can get more information.
Here is a guide to the applying process-
- Use a dropper to take some beard oil in your hands and then spread it evenly across your hands.
- Start by applying beard oil to deep parts of the beard so roots can absorb the beard oil, then using the forward action come to the exterior parts of your beard.
- Then take your hand to the neck, where beard oil can be applied to hairs on the neck
- Finally move your hands across the mustache too, so mustache hair also gets the essential oil DIY and carrier oil. After applying beard oil, trimming is an easy job.
The Importance of Making Beard Oil at Home
Making beard oil at home is no rocket science. But if you are mixing different oils and trying out new recipes, then you are allowed to call yourself a scientist. Making beard oil gives us the pleasure to spend time with ourselves. This would make us happy and provide a sense of accomplishment that will reside in us. It is always fun to learn and understand what you are using in your day to day life.
People who make their own grooming products are noticed to have increased usage and a sense of accomplishment. So we ask you to go out there, get the ingredients, and make the best beard oil for you. Also, don’t be limited to one or two ingredients.
1. How can I make beard oil at home?
Making beard oil at home is a really easy process but only if you keep certain things in mind. It has two main ingredients- carrier and essential oils. To make beard oil, just mix carrier and essential oil and your product is ready. But you have to measure appropriate quantities of both oils to make good facial hair oil. Too much of essential oil can cause skin irritation, so it is important to measure and use.
2. What essential oils are good for beard?
Essential oils are natural and organic oils that are extracted from different trees. It brings a fragrance to any beard grooming product. There are many little things that it does, like killing bacteria, preventing acne, etc. But essential oils don’t have a prominent role like carrier oils. So there are many best essential oils for the beard you can choose from. It all comes down to your needs and fragrance you like. Every essential oil acts as an anti-bacterial which is an important thing to remember.
3. Do beard oils actually work?
Beard oils do work great with a beard. There are many important things it does to your beard. Beard oils make your beard smoother and also promotes growth. Due to the presence of carrier oil, the beard will be less itchy and dandruff will also be reduced. The best thing according to reviewers is that the oil makes their beard smoother and easier to comb.
4. How do you make beard oil with essential oils?
It is really easy to make beard oil with essential oil. A more detailed guide about this can be found in the earlier section about how to make beard oil. But to summarize, carrier oils are mixed with essential oils to create a good beard oil.
In this blog, we highlighted the Beard Oil Recipe. First, we discovered what is beard oil, what it is used for, and gained some information on beard oil ingredients. Then we informed you on topics like how to choose the correct quality and quantity of ingredients. Then we went through the making process, where we provided you step by step instructions. Through our research, we highlighted some recipes that work well with the beard.
TomFw also offered some tips to remember when you are making beard oil at home in Canada. Lastly, we answered some of the questions in the FAQ section. We hope that you gained a lot of information from this blog, and we would love to hear from you. Feel free to contact us and share some creative ideas that you think might be helpful to other men out there.
To close this guide, remember that a beard is what defines a man, so be sure to maintain it.
Last update on 2021-04-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API