Let’s be realistic, beard products can be expensive especially when you need to buy them every month. There are thousands of beard balms and other skincare products available in the market, and it can be difficult for you to choose one product that fulfills all your expectations. So why not make your facial hair balm with all the essential oils and carrier oil.
The Homemade Beard Balm recipe is not only cost-effective but also serves many other advantages that will be described in this blog. DIY Beard Balm (Do it yourself) is easy to make with just a few key ingredients. It is a lot similar to lip balm with different ingredients. So without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
Table Of Content
- Why you need a Beard Balm recipe?
- What do you need for the DIY Beard Balm Recipe? ( 4 Main Ingredients)
- Additional Things you need to get started with DIY Beard Balm Recipe
- How to make Beard Balm at home?
- Beard Balm Recipes That You Can Try At Home
- Tips for DIY Beard Balm Recipe That Are Very Helpful
- How to apply to Beard Balm? (4 Main Steps)
Why you need a Beard Balm recipe?
Before we jump into different balm recipes that have all the essential oils and carrier oil, first we need to understand the psychology behind making a beard balm at home rather than buying Best Beard Balm that your beard deserves. As said earlier, there are few advantages of making a facial hair balm at home-
This is the main advantage of homemade beard balms and beard oil, which is that it saves money. Not everyone has the luxury to spend bucks on fashion products. But that does not mean that they cannot use facial hair balm. DIY beard balm can cost you less than 10 dollars compared to beard balms that range from 20 to 40 dollars. So why not save money where you can. But if you have some money to spend then please don’t waste your time making a beard balm, that has high chances of failure. Let’s do a simple case study to prove this. Honest Amish beard balm costs around 15 dollars and will last for approximately 1 month depending on usage. Now assuming that you make your own beard balm, then the ingredients will cost you around 20-30 dollars and those ingredients can be used for 5-6 times, which is 7-8 months worth of beard balm. So if you see 30 dollars is a lot cheaper then 100+ dollars
Can be Customized to your needs
Another main advantage of homemade beard balm is that you can customize it according to your needs. If you are allergic to some products then it is easy to just exclude those products. If one wants a beard balm recipe with shea butter then it can be easy to make, while another person wants a beard balm recipe without shea butter then he can do so. Secondly, if you want some vitamin more in your balm-like vitamin E, then you can do that too.
If you are looking for a beard balm recipe for growth then it’s easy to just add a few main ingredients like shea butter. Looking for fragrance in your balm, then it is easy to just increase the ratio of the smelling essential oils. This is the advantage of DIY beard balm, which is you can discover a product that meets your own needs.
You have ownership of that product
Sometimes when we buy a product, we don’t even know what it contains or what it is used for. But when you make a balm, you know what it carries and so you have a feeling of owning it. This feeling will make you happier to use that product. You will also know that the product downs to carry anything that you don’t know about. So ultimately one is being a satisfied customer!
What do you need for the DIY Beard Balm Recipe? (4 Main Ingredients)
There are a few main things that are needed to make a good beard balm or beard oil. This is not at all hard to find, you can easily find and buy them for a few bucks. All the key ingredients are divided into 4 main categories which include Beeswax, Organic Butter, Carrier Oil, and Essential oils. These categories have further classifications which you can see in the picture below-
So let’s start describing why you need these products, where can you get it from, and other important stuff-
This is the main ingredient you need to make a good beard balm. It is like a seed to a plant, which is the most important ingredient. Beeswax is an all-natural product that can be found in any ready to use beard balms. It does certain things that are important for the beard. It is required to give beard balm the appropriate hold that one desires. If one wants more hold from beard balm, then he can adjust the concentration of beeswax for it.
You cannot make a beard balm without beeswax, but it does not mean that you only have to use it, too much beeswax will lead to beard wax and not beard balm.
There are a few options available for you to acquire beeswax. A good option will be to rush the nearest beekeeper and buy a bar or two for a few bucks. But this can be troublesome because finding a beekeeper is a hard job.
There are a few options available to buy beeswax, which include pellets, bars, sheets, etc. Buying a beeswax bar is a good choice because you can cut multiple pieces as you desire. But you can also buy beeswax pellets which are also a great choice.
Note that beeswax is available in two colors- white and yellow. Colour does not matter for a balm. Secondly, a beard balm recipe without beeswax is not possible because then it could be just another liquid, which is hard to apply. Beeswax is not necessary for a beard oil recipe.
Now you might be wondering what is organic butter and what is it used for. While beeswax is used for hold, butter is used for easy spread. Butter provides some moisture to your beard and hydrates it. It acts as a bridge between harder beeswax and a liquid carrier oil, which makes it possible to spread balm.
There are many different types of butter that one can use in a beard balm. The most common one is shea butter. Shea butter provides many benefits to your skin, like making skin underneath the beard smoother and treating beard dandruff. As a common ingredient in many body products like lotions, beard shampoos, beard balms, and much more, shea butter will just work perfectly in your beard balm recipe.
It is a high-quality butter that comes as a bar, which makes it easy to use. It will make your skin smoother and reduce skin irritation.
There are many other kinds of butter which you can use for easy spreading of beard balms, this includes-
- Another common butter used for making beard balm is cocoa butter. Beard balm recipe cocoa butter is also a great idea. Cocoa butter is really good for dry skin because it hydrates it and then smoothens it. It contains high levels of vitamin E oil that rejuvenates beard health and makes it easy for you to shape your beard.
- Mango butter is another organic butter that can be used in a beard balm shea butter recipe. This ingredient can be used with other butter. It acts as an antioxidant with a good smell, that works well with sensitive skin. This butter helps uplift the sensitive skin and works perfectly with beeswax.
There are many different types of butter available in the market, but mainly in any beard balm, we would use cocoa butter and shea butter which will bring smoothness to the balm and will make it easy to spread. Other kinds of butter like Mango butter, almond butter is optimal to use.
This is one of the main natural ingredients needed to make a good beard balm. Now you might be wondering what does a carrier oil does in balm and how it helps me?
Carrier oils are like food to your body which supplies essential nutrients. Carrier oils bring smoothness to the beard and moisturize it. It helps the beard get rid of dandruff and itchiness. Ultimately it will make it easy for you to shape and comb it using Best Beard Comb.
There are different carrier oils that you can use, depending on your needs. Below we have a summary of some of the main oils that you would want to use, and where can you buy them from.
- Avocado oil- Reduces wrinkles on the face and acts as an anti-aging agent.
- Coconut oil helps in Hair Hydration and promotes moisture on the face. It can also be used as a dilution agent for essential oils.
- Argan oil helps smoothen the beard hairs and helps reduce skin underneath beard irritation. It also reduces wrinkles on the skin.
- Jojoba oil- It is like coconut oil, which moisturizes and hydrates a beard, making it easy to shape and comb. This oil is easily absorbed by the beard and that’s why it is a good choice.
- Sweet Almond oil helps reduce skin inflammation, which will make you look more handsome. It will also promote beard hair growth.
- As said earlier there are many different kinds of carrier oils available in the market like tea tree oil, but due to obvious reasons, we cannot mention all of them here. If you find any specific oil that is perfect for your beard then feel free to use it.
It might be difficult to differentiate an essential oil and carrier oil. Essential oils are just as important as the other 3 categories. Beeswax, Organic Butter, and carrier oils do not have any scent to themselves. So making beard balm smell is the job of essential oils. Both are generally made from natural ingredients.
Similar to carrier oils, there are many different types of essential oils that you can use. We won’t bore you by listing and specifying all the oils here. The choice of essential oils is more personal touch because everyone likes different smells.
There are different kits available for a DIY balm recipe with essential oils, which can get expensive.
But essential oils like olive oil, grapeseed oil, bourbon oil, and kukui nut oil not only provide a great smell to beard balm, but there are also many different things it does. One of them being, some oils fight bacteria on the skin underneath the beard which will reduce irritation and dandruff. Some oils are also rich in Vitamin E that acts like a natural preservative that makes sure balm lasts long enough. There are also some oils available that you cause for the vegan beard balm recipe.
Additional Things you need to get started with DIY Beard Balm Recipe
There are a few more things that you need to get started with DIY beard balm. Don’t worry these are not craze and expensive things that you would need. After you don’t want to buy expensive balm every few months. These things are cheap and easily available. One does not even need to buy these things because they are just regular kitchen utensils that are used in day to day chores. But if you don’t have them with you, then please buy them because it will make your lives easier.
In addition to all the four items listed above, you need these things to get started with-
- A vessel to cook beard balm– One can use a pot, glass bowl, or metal tin, or any glass container that works well with heat. Make sure you get a vessel that can be cleaned easily or you can throw after using it. A pot works best, but the only concern is that it is hard to clean. So after making beard balm, there are high chances that a pot cannot be used for cooking. Metal tin can be used which can be heated too. This is also called a metal pot which is easy to use and clean. Make sure to buy a pot not that expensive, which can be thrown or disposed of after use. A metal spoon can be of use here.
- Funnel– It is hard to pour the hot balm from the pot into a container, so you want to use a funnel to pour the balm. This is not essential on your list, but it is good to have it. One can get a good funnel for a good price online. A kitchen scale might be a useful tool too.
- Container– This is an important consideration when making a DIY beard balm. Think about where would you store beard growth beard balm after it is ready. Get a metal tin or dark container that will not allow too many UV rays to pass through the container because too much light will just lead to your beard balm rotting. Get a container like this one, which can be easily packed and can be airtight. It will allow you to keep it at room temperature.
How to make Beard Balm at home?
The quantity of balm you want to make can be different. For instance, if you want a beard balm recipe extra hold then you need to measure and include more beeswax. There are thousands of recipes available in the market like beard balm recipe with coconut oil, or without coconut oil. It is your choice of what to include and exclude from your recipe.
Best Beard Balm recipe includes many different steps that are highlighted below-
- Measure the appropriate quantity of each ingredient– It is a better choice to have everything ready before starting to make the balm. All ingredients like beeswax, kinds of butter, and carrier oils need to be measured using a scaling spoon or any scale. Note that essential oils are not added at this moment. Collect them in the pot you have chosen and after having all ingredients in the pot, mix them properly using a spoon or any other tool. Make sure the tools used are clean and bacteria-free; this directly impacts your beard balm. Measuring is an important step because you don’t want too much of something.
- Start heating and mixing- The pot in which you have your mixture, add some water about half an inch. Then start heating using heat source the mixture and keep stirring it until it has fully melted. Remember not to boil your mixture, this will kill all the essential nutrients. Stirring is an important part of your recipe, this will judge the thickness of your beard balm. It will also decide the spreadability of beard balm. So make sure to stir gently and then turn off the heat source once itis all liquid.
- Mix Essential oils before it cools down- After the mixture has melted and the heat source is off, add the essential oils that you want. It is important to pour the appropriate quantity of essential oils, too much of something is not good. Too much essential oil will lead to a stronger smell. It is important to include essential oil before the mixture cools down because then it would be hard to mix.
- Pour the mixture into a container and let it cool- As said earlier, using a funnel pour the mixture into an appropriate container. After pouring, let it cool for almost a few hours before starting to use it. You can put its lid on and then just leave it overnight.
This was a general beard balm essential oil recipe. It can help you achieve an Honest Amish quality beard balm. If you do not wish to include any essential oils in your balm then it can be done by skipping that part. Below we have highlighted some more specific recipes that you can use for a good beard balm.
Beard Balm Recipes That You Can Try At Home
Their many different recipes you can try with different ingredients, highlighted below are just some of them. You can customize it according to your needs.
Cedarwood Beard Balm with Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. Beeswax
- 2 Tbsp. Shea butter
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa butter
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- 2- 3 drops of Cedarwood essential oil
Premium Beard Balm with extra hold For Beard Lovers
- 3-4 Tbsp. Beeswax
- 3-4 Tbsp. Shea butter
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa butter
- 2 Tbsp. of jojoba oil
- 1 Tbsp. of argan oil
- 3 drops of sandalwood essential oil
The Handsome Men’s Formula
- 2 Tbsp. beeswax
- 2 Tbsp. shea butter
- 3 Tbsp. jojoba oil
- 2 Tbsp. sweet almond oil
- 1/8 Tbsp. argan-oil and seed oil
- 4-8 drops cedarwood oil
- 1/2 drop rosemary essential oil or bourbon oil
Vanilla Scented Toronto’s Beard Balm
- 2 Tbsp. beeswax
- 2 Tbsp. shea butter
- 1 Tbsp. argan-oil
- 1 Tbsp. jojoba oil and seed oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla essential oils
- 2 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 3 drops jasmine essential oil
- 3 drops tea tree oil and lavender oil
Highlighted above were just a few of the beard balm scent recipes. As said earlier, you can customize your own best beard balm recipe that fits your needs. Like whiskey, beard balm recipe Make sure that you don’t add too much of any ingredient which would just make your best beard balm recipe worst.
Tips for DIY Beard Balm Recipe That Are Very Helpful
There are certain things that you need to keep in mind before and while you are performing the recipe. These tips will make it easy for you to make beard balms in Canada. Tips are as following-
- Have a full plan before starting– Sometimes people just start making a recipe that we suggested above and then they realize that an ingredient is missing. So before you start your recipe, have a good plan with all the necessary ingredients and steps ready. This can be written or not written, whichever you please.
- Plan a budget before buying ingredients– The whole point of beard balm homemade is that you want to make it cheaper in the long term. So have a fixed budget in mind before shopping according to your needs. A good budget is what accommodates your needs.
- Choose the appropriate quantity of each ingredient– Too much of something can make your best beard balm recipe worst. So, have an appropriate quantity that is just enough for your product. If you want a certain quantity to act as an anti-inflammatory then the appropriate quantity needs to be used
How to apply Beard Balm? (4 Main Steps)
We suggest that you have a look at how to apply the beard balm section. It will give you an idea of everything you need to know about beard balm. It will inform you about what is beard balm, or oil, etc. The blog also highlights some of the best beard balms in the market, from where you can take inspiration for your own product.
Some of the main steps in the applying process include-
- Take some balm in your hand
- Start by rubbing beard blam in your hands, which will make it easy for you to spread balm on the beard. This will also help prevent hair loss.
- Start massaging in your beard, ensuring that all parts of the beard have the balm
- Use a beard comb to shape your beard and a beard trimmer to trim your beard.
1. How do I make my beard balm creamy?
To make Beard Balm creamy, we suggest you add more shea butter or cocoa butter. Shea butter makes beard balm creamy and makes it easy to spread on your beard. It also helps treat dandruff and reduce inflammation. Shea butter achieves many things, but its main function is to turn beard balm creamy and easy to spread.
2.How do you make beard balm?
There are a lot of steps that go behind making a good beard balm, which we have highlighted above. The main ingredients in a beard balm include beeswax, organic butter, carrier oils, and essential oils. Using these ingredients and by following some steps highlighted above, one can make a perfect beard balm.
3. Which is better beard balm or butter?
Both products achieve something different, though having some similarities. Beard balm is more for hold and shaping, making it easy for you to comb. Beard butter nourishes your beard by making it smooth and moisturizing it. It also promotes beard growth. The fragrances of both products can be really familiar. So, there is no better option when compared to each other, because they achieve different functions.
4. How do you make beard balm with beeswax?
Beeswax makes beard balm thicker, giving it the required hold. It is one of the main ingredients used in a beard balm because this is what makes a beard oil and beard balm different. Mixing and heating beeswax with other ingredients highlighted above will give a good beard balm. You can read the blog above for a detailed process and steps.
In this blog, we discussed DIY beard balm Canada. There are many things we learned including, what goes inside the best beard balm recipe, where can you buy these ingredients, how to use them to make a perfect beard balm, and how to apply that beard balm. We provided readers with some of the recipes that we like that you can choose above, but that doesn’t mean that those are the only best recipes. We would like to hear from you! One can contact us with any better ideas or suggestions by dropping their name, email address, etc. There are certain other required fields to contact us like through email address, but they would not violate your privacy. We will surely get back to you through your email address.