EMERGING MENSWEAR DESIGNER AWARD
Giving Canadian menswear designers a national and global platform to showcase their ready to wear menswear collections.
TOM* is pleased to present the WFG Emerging Menswear Designer Award (WFG|EMDA). An annual national competition to find the best new talent in menswear. This initiative is aimed at promoting home grown Canadian design talent and to inspire young designers to specialize in menswear.
WFG Emerging Menswear Designer Award is proud to be a partner of TFI, the world's first fashion incubator. TFI plays an essential role in the growth and promotion of the Canadian fashion community by helping creative entrepreneurs develop the business and professional skills they need to thrive and survive.
Applicants will provide a portfolio style application along with administrative requirements for consideration. Five selected finalists will compete while presenting 12 looks from their SS18 collection at the closing TOM* Fashion Show on Sunday, October 1, 2017.
The Winner will be selected from the finalists by a distinguished panel of judges.
The 2018 WFG|EMDA Winner will be awarded:
- $10,000.00 CDN
- A one-year membership at TFI Toronto Fashion Incubator
- Mentoring from Industry Leaders
- Primetime runway show at TOM* FW 2018
TOM* WFG|EMDA SS18 APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS - 3 Steps
Application deadline is Friday, June 16th, 2017
Finalists will be announced Saturday, July 15th, 2017
- Must be a Canadian-based Emerging Menswear Designer to enter.
- Designer must be in business or designing independently for 2 years or less. (You will need to submit your business registration documents or a reference letter from your school indicating that you are a student or a recent graduate).
- Once all requirements for application are submitted they will be processed by Canada Fashion Group and successful candidates will be notified. The Canada Fashion Group (CFG) panel acts in an advisory capacity only.
- There may be certain cases where CFG feels the applicant may not be suitable and reserves final say over participation.
- CFG organizers reserve the right to approve runway pieces and collections based on CFG’s standards which include quality, fit, presentation, and marketability.
- We are only accepting electronic applications.
- There is a non-refundable $100 Application Processing Fee.
PLEASE NOTE: All 3 steps below must be completed in full to be considered.
STEP 1 - Administrative Information
STEP 2 - Application package
Your application package will be scored on visual presentation, style, communication of brand vision and marketability. Please send the following items via email to Primeau, CFG Designer Relations Manager at Primeau@CanadaFashionGroup.com.
- Your logo in vector .ia or .eps format at 96dpi resolution or greater.
- Designer headshot in .jpg or .png format measuring 300 x 300 pixels at 96dpi resolution or greater.
- Your additional contact list including emergency contact, additional designers, public relations contact, stylists and applicable sales agents.
- The following items in a single PDF named EMDA2018_brandname.pdf
- Your business registration documents or a reference letter from your school indicating that you are a student or a recent graduate.
- Description and Mood Board for your SS18 collection.
- Illustrations of your proposed collection - These should not be impressionistic illustrations; please highlight garment details, patterns and colours. Illustrations should showcase 12 looks on 12 figures.
We require 12; 2-3 piece looks during applications and presentation.
- Recent Look Book or Previous Collection Images.
STEP 3 - APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE (non-Refundable)
Email transfer the non-refundable $100 Application Processing Fee to Accounting@CanadaFashionGroup.com.
Questions? Email Primeau, CFG Designer Relations Manager, at Primeau@CanadaFashionGroup.com.